Mesterius
2020-03-12T10:12:53Z
Originally Posted by: Mario500 

I had found the details at this address:

https://butterflyblew1986.tumblr.com/post/184126081537/after-35-years-they-finally-revealed-gadgets​​​​​​​ 

This is not a new reveal. The name Augustin Tamare was used as Inspector Gadget's "real" name in French press material from the 1980s onwards. But the key to remember is, it was ONLY used in French press material. It has never been his official name in other languages/countries like the United States.
vdubdavid
2020-03-13T05:57:53Z
Indeed, I remember the show 'Inspector Gadget's Field Trip' and the episode about New York City. There was a segment about Ellis Island and how immigration officials would often change or simplify foreign names due to language barriers, and it was implied (or revealed, if you prefer) that the Inspector's family name was 'Gadgetta' and was subsequently shortened.
Mesterius
2020-03-13T07:54:36Z
Originally Posted by: vdubdavid 

Indeed, I remember the show 'Inspector Gadget's Field Trip' and the episode about New York City. There was a segment about Ellis Island and how immigration officials would often change or simplify foreign names due to language barriers, and it was implied (or revealed, if you prefer) that the Inspector's family name was 'Gadgetta' and was subsequently shortened.

Never heard about that before (as I can't get myself to watch much of that show). Still, that feels like an extremely random explanation thought up by someone in retrospect. 😛
vdubdavid
2020-03-14T07:09:18Z
I suppose so. It was an educational series that aired on the History Channel way back when. Rather cheap in its execution, it simply had stock animation of Gadget superimposed on live action footage of the place being featured. Aside from putting the animation in black and white to match vintage footage of arriving immigrants there really wasn't much effort in trying to synchronize the two.

© 2020 - YetAnotherForum.NET