eutychus
2020-03-31T22:08:03Z
So, now that things are settling down a bit and I'm getting ready to start on the next phases of our little project here, I'm wondering if I can have your input.

Are there any new functions, new categories, new ideas that you'd like to see incorporated into the IAD? Or any new directions you'd like us to think about?

Don't be afraid ... if you think your idea is too wild, post it anyway. It might start our juices flowing in that direction. But I'd really like to hear your ideas of what you'd like to see happening with the IAD in the future or what you'd like to see us start incorporating.

Thoughts?
OutOfOdor
2020-03-31T22:41:37Z
I've a few wild ideas:
-Animated title sequences and inserts for movies and television shows (e.g. DFE's Pink Panther titles, the hundreds of animations created for Sesame Street and The Electric Company)
-Capsule biographies on animators, directors, writers, BG artists, etc.
-Cue sheets, much like we've included animator drafts
-Interviews
-A section for soundtracks
-This might seem REALLY wild, but since I've a fascination for cartoon SFX, possibly a section dedicated to those, the editors who created the effects (Treg Brown, Jimmy MacDonald, etc.), pages for individual effects and .WAV files of certain effects, etc.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
kintutoons32
2020-04-01T01:04:30Z
I've got some:
-The ability to post 100 screenshots at a time.
-Showcase every title on this site as a timeline, and do the same thing for titles that do have screenshots, and those that don't.
-Start a podcast.
-Make advertising for this site on TV, online, in apps, in magazines, and on billboards, to name a few.
-Include character biographies.
-Develop an application.
-Increase the number of characters for each post, and add new smileys.
-Donate production art to the Disney Animation Research Library.
-See screenshots in great quality immediately after submitting them.
PopKorn Kat
2020-04-01T02:14:38Z
  • Alternate color schemes for the site and forum (specifically a dark one-it'd be easier on the ol' eyeballs)
  • Spiritual successor to the old "Classic Cartoon Records" GAC site featuring soundtracks, records featuring animated characters, etc. (like OutOfOdor's idea)

nickramer
2020-04-01T03:57:37Z
Maybe a Patreon page?
Josue_Duperon
2020-04-05T14:04:12Z
- A calendar showing upcoming animated titles.
- The ability to submit multiple credits in a title at a time.
eutychus
2020-04-05T22:02:00Z
There's a lot of good ideas here and a lot of things I'm giving consideration to. Let's hit the high points:

Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor 

-Animated title sequences and inserts for movies and television shows (e.g. DFE's Pink Panther titles, the hundreds of animations created for Sesame Street and The Electric Company)

Completely doable. I've always wanted to add a section for ads that the various studios have done. Let me figure out how to institute it.

Quote:

-Capsule biographies on animators, directors, writers, BG artists, etc.

-Cue sheets, much like we've included animator drafts
-Interviews

I'll post them if someone provides them!

Quote:

-This might seem REALLY wild, but since I've a fascination for cartoon SFX, possibly a section dedicated to those, the editors who created the effects (Treg Brown, Jimmy MacDonald, etc.), pages for individual effects and .WAV files of certain effects, etc.

That's got potential. I'd have to find a source for them. Would you also want a listing of what cartoons they were used in?

Originally Posted by: kintutoons32 

I've got some:
-The ability to post 100 screenshots at a time.
-See screenshots in great quality immediately after submitting them.

I'd love to be able to add new screenshots every day. I've certainly got enough waiting in the queue and more coming in every day. But time just doesn't allow me to dedicate that amount of time to just that one aspect of the site.

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

• Alternate color schemes for the site and forum (specifically a dark one-it'd be easier on the ol' eyeballs)
  • Spiritual successor to the old "Classic Cartoon Records" GAC site featuring soundtracks, records featuring animated characters, etc. (like OutOfOdor's idea)

Color schemes have been on my list for a while now, including the ability to create your own theme. I'll try to move that further on up the list.

I also still have the old GAC Cartoon Records site in storage and will be putting that back up as part of the GAC archive if I can ever find the time.

Originally Posted by: Josue_Duperon 

- A calendar showing upcoming animated titles.
- The ability to submit multiple credits in a title at a time.

As in upcoming video titles? I did that last year and it can be difficult to keep up, but if people liked it I can give it another shot.

I know that you do a lot of work with the credits. Can you explain your second suggestion more? How can I make that easier for you?

Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Maybe a Patreon page?

The idea of a Patreon page is that you're giving your patrons something that others cannot get. I do need to find a way of paying for the site. In another thread I had mentioned the idea of putting our logo as a bug in the lower left hand corner of the screenshots. Perhaps that can be one of the benefits of being a subscriber? To see that site without ads and without the screenshot bug?

The other issue that concerns me is trying to get more people interested enough to contribute to the work we're trying to do here. For instance, we currently list almost 54000 titles but only 4500 of them have synopsis. When I first envisioned the site it was as a group effort since there is an enormous amount of information out there, but not that many people seem interested in making it a reality. I would be interested in any ideas you have for roping people into the project.

Thanks for your ideas and all your hard work!

Patrick

OutOfOdor
2020-04-06T11:38:46Z
Originally Posted by: eutychus 

That's got potential. I'd have to find a source for them. Would you also want a listing of what cartoons they were used in?

Why not! As for sources, I think I can help you. PM me and I can tell you sources.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Josue_Duperon
2020-04-07T17:49:06Z
I mean a calendar for upcoming movies and TV show episodes.

I think there should be a way to do multiple credits in a title without leaving the page.
Toonatic
2020-04-12T20:55:38Z
I feel like home video covers could use some updating every now and again (high-quality and finalized versions), not I suggest an "Update Cover" option where someone uploads the cover (front and back, the latter optional), and its evaluated to be the new cover.
OutOfOdor
2020-04-18T18:33:36Z
Here's an idea that recently came to me, a little something I like to call the "Foreign Animation Project," or F.A.P. for short. Basically, what this would be is an ongoing project identifying and documenting the numerous foreign (mostly European) cartoons which were picked up by TV syndicators and educational film companies and endeared themselves to youngsters back in the 60s, 70s and 80s by way of television programs like Pinwheel and The Nutty Squirrels, or by being shown in the classroom. These films (as well as the companies that distributed them for the aforementioned markets), at least over here, are sorely under-researched, and hopefully this project will remedy that unfortunate fact.

I don't know if he posts here, but Chris Sobieniak, who used to frequent the old GAC boards, may be invaluable for this, as he seems to know a great deal about these films.
PopKorn Kat
2020-04-18T19:33:29Z
Howzabout an ability for members to view others' video collections?
WaltWiz1901
2020-04-18T22:27:26Z
Hmm...how about the ability to replace certain screenshots (like title cards; this could be reliable in case photos of the real original title sequences are available elsewhere) and to credit whoever added (or edited) the new screenshots alongside the one who posted most of the original screenshots?
eutychus
2020-04-19T23:52:15Z
Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

I feel like home video covers could use some updating every now and again (high-quality and finalized versions), not I suggest an "Update Cover" option where someone uploads the cover (front and back, the latter optional), and its evaluated to be the new cover.

I know I've been lax on this, simply because I've had so much I want to do that it's been a lower priority. I don't have any way for you to upload graphic yourself. (They're all stored on an Amazon server and giving access to that would give access to my entire Amazon account.) But sent them to me, explain what they are if they're replacements and I'll try to be better and getting them up.
eutychus
2020-04-19T23:56:58Z
Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor 

Here's an idea that recently came to me, a little something I like to call the "Foreign Animation Project," or F.A.P. for short. Basically, what this would be is an ongoing project identifying and documenting the numerous foreign (mostly European) cartoons which were picked up by TV syndicators and educational film companies and endeared themselves to youngsters back in the 60s, 70s and 80s by way of television programs like Pinwheel and The Nutty Squirrels, or by being shown in the classroom. These films (as well as the companies that distributed them for the aforementioned markets), at least over here, are sorely under-researched, and hopefully this project will remedy that unfortunate fact.

Good idea but I'm not sure it needs to be a separate project from the main mission of the site. We should be encompassing animation in all it's forms and wherever it's originated.
eutychus
2020-04-19T23:58:56Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

Howzabout an ability for members to view others' video collections?

Doable. We would have to put in a function for people to opt out if they don't want their collections publicized, though.
eutychus
2020-04-20T00:02:13Z
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 

Hmm...how about the ability to replace certain screenshots (like title cards; this could be reliable in case photos of the real original title sequences are available elsewhere) and to credit whoever added (or edited) the new screenshots alongside the one who posted most of the original screenshots?

We could do that. I think the best shot is to keep the screenshots as they are (it can be a pain to replaced them) and if original title cards are found, we can add them as gallery items.
eutychus
2020-04-20T00:04:08Z
Lotta good ideas here so I'll keep this thread open so you can continue adding your ideas as you get them. Keep in mind that you might not see these changes right away, but I'll be keeping them in mind as I get ready to start the adjustment process. Thanks!
kintutoons32
2020-05-03T08:53:45Z
Could we possibly have a filmography of every page that has screenshots from the earliest released onward?
PopKorn Kat
2020-05-09T04:42:00Z
Technical thingamajigs I'd like to see implemented. I don't know if these two ideas are currently possible, but with this influx of new users, it would be a good idea to:
  • Link to the rules in several visible locations (i.e., upon account creation, at the top of the forum--be sure it can be dismissed!). Currently, I have it pinned in one of the general boards, and unlike the old GAC there doesn't appear to be a way to make it an announcement.
  • Trying to double-post within a certain amount of time (72 hours?) will result in a message saying something among the lines of "Warning! The last post in this thread was made by you [time] ago. Making multiple posts in a row is discouraged. Consider editing your previous post instead." It can be overridden should the poster deem it necessary.
  • Trying to post in a thread that hasn't been posted in for thirty days will pop up a message reading something like "Warning! This thread has not been posted in for ___ days/months/years/etc. Please make sure your reply is constructive and brings something to the table."

© 2020 - YetAnotherForum.NET