wiley207
2020-05-27T23:21:34Z
And now that I am watching more episodes (I am able to use HBO Max because my family's Xfinity TV plan includes HBO and the ability to access HBO Max at no extra charge!), the humor often does feel not just similar to some the 40s and 50s classics, but often like the 90s Spielberg/WB shows as well, particularly "Animaniacs" (and that bit with Tweety felt pretty "Animaniacs"-esque to me, complete with those muted trumpets.)
The animation is really nice and fluid, and the orchestrated music is fun (especially Carl Johnson's stuff.) Eric Bauza makes for a great Bugs, Daffy and Tweety voice actor. I can't wait to eventually hear his take on Sylvester, unless J.P. Karliak takes over the role once Jeff Bergman is unable to continue the part. The sound effects are rather unusual; at times they feel more reminiscent of "Ren & Stimpy" or "Rocko's Modern Life" instead of a classic WB cartoon (particularly the use of the Hanna-Barbera "low bork" sound effect when someone gives an annoyed expression, like on "Rocko's Modern Life"). I even heard some of Horta Editorial's old custom sound effects here and there; I'm positively sure the uncredited sound designer/editor is someone who used to work for Horta Editorial or Hacienda Post.
Thad Komorowski mentioned that a Korean animation studio was fired from this series. And that studio turned out to be Yearim Productions. To be honest, I'm not surprised Yearim was fired, as even on "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes" their episodes didn't look as good as Snipple Animation. Maybe if they wanted a Korean studio they would've had better luck with Lotto Animation?
nickramer
2020-05-28T03:44:51Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 



No doubt that Clampett may have tried something like that, but I’m just surprised that multiple shorts were banned because of guns that don’t even kill these fictional characters while Tweety is able to talk about jerking off. Who’s censoring these things?



And yet they banned Pepe from being in the show.

Also, apparently, they did a Daffy and Porky cartoon with toilet humor. Who's bright idea was this? They're working with a pig and a screwy duck, NOT a chihuahua and an idiot cat. There's a big difference.
wiley207
2020-05-28T04:18:49Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 


And yet they banned Pepe from being in the show.



Which is dumb, because according to HBO Max, this series is rated TV-PG! But if they're not allowed to have guns or Pepe Le Pew or Speedy Gonzales, then the rating is not very appropriate. If they're still gonna follow those silly rules and guidelines, the series should be rated TV-G. It's like "The Looney Tunes Show is TV-PG" vs. "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated is TV-Y7-FV" all over again. Sheesh! (The latter even let someone get shot to death in one episode!)
PopKorn Kat
2020-05-28T05:00:12Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Also, apparently, they did a Daffy and Porky cartoon with toilet humor. Who's bright idea was this? They're working with a pig and a screwy duck, NOT a chihuahua and an idiot cat. There's a big difference.



I’ve watched all ten episodes on the service, and I believe the one nickramer is referring to is "Shower Shuffle” from 108. Honestly, I felt the episode’s gross-out humor was no worse than the 90s Spielberg/WB Television product. I believe the “worst” scene, and the one nic might have gotten wind of, was at the very beginning, where Daffy blows his nose into a huge wad of toilet paper and tries to flush it…eventually, the snot-encrusted wad somehow makes it into Porky’s shower! I don’t know, I consider myself very tolerant of this sort of humor, so the whole affair reminded me that this show started production way before the COVID-19 pandemic. 😛
Jonathan Wilson
2020-05-28T06:58:42Z
"Big League Beast" is probably the best animated of the bunch (seeing Bugs terrified facial expressions again were great). Tom Kenny also nailed the Boris Karloff scientist to a tee. "Curse of the Monkeybird" was just hilarious thru and thru and felt almost a like a Clampett cartoon with the way certain gags played out.
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2020-05-28T12:06:52Z
I've seen the episodes and had a good time with them – I'll certainly watch them again. I don't think there can ever be a new series of Looney Tunes cartoons that can be totally tailored to my own tastes and wishes(!), but I can see that a lot of love, care and talent has gone into a very tall order of 1000 minutes of content.

The censorship talk here is interesting. Censorship rarely makes sense with regards to what is and isn't allowed. No guns, but some of the violence starts to push it in brutality and sadism. In fact, there were a couple of moments where guns might have made it easier to take – I kinda felt sorry for Elmer some of the time and, if he'd been holding a gun in Bugs' face moments beforehand, then perhaps his punishments wouldn't have seemed so harsh.

One short I really liked was 'Boo! Appetweet'. A simple set up with lots of fun expressions, gags. From the opening music it immediately put me in the mood for a fun Looney Tunes cartoon and I appreciated how the music kept up with the action throughout. Tweety's final line (and the delivery of it) really made me laugh.
wiley207
2020-05-28T21:47:08Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 


I’ve watched all ten episodes on the service, and I believe the one nickramer is referring to is "Shower Shuffle” from 108. Honestly, I felt the episode’s gross-out humor was no worse than the 90s Spielberg/WB Television product. I believe the “worst” scene, and the one nic might have gotten wind of, was at the very beginning, where Daffy blows his nose into a huge wad of toilet paper and tries to flush it…eventually, the snot-encrusted wad somehow makes it into Porky’s shower! I don’t know, I consider myself very tolerant of this sort of humor, so the whole affair reminded me that this show started production way before the COVID-19 pandemic. :P



Yeah, "Shower Shuffle" wasn't so bad. Daffy's messy run-down bathroom felt a little "Ren and Stimpy"-esque, though the bit with the snotty toilet paper felt more like something "Animaniacs" might have done. But it was Porky's reaction to it that made me laugh. The rest of the short was funny, too. I could relate to Porky at times; I hate it when someone runs water when I'm in the shower, and the pressure changes and hurts me, either with a brief boiling burn or stinging icy cold.

"Fleece and Desist" was also fun; I hope to see more of Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog soon!
wiley207
2020-05-28T23:20:02Z
Originally Posted by: wiley207 


Which is dumb, because according to HBO Max, this series is rated TV-PG!



No, wait, apparently episodes 1 to 8 are rated TV-PG while episodes 9 an 10 are TV-Y7, the same parental rating "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes" had, and THAT show featured Pepe Le Pew in it! I think in this case, the TV-Y7 rating would probably work better than TV-PG. (Though for "The Looney Tunes Show," that should've just been TV-G.)
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2020-05-30T11:12:16Z
Best taken this with a pinch of salt, but this article talks a little about how classic cartoons were screened for group testing audiences leading to no guns in the new series.

https://www.indiewire.co...oons-hbo-max-1202234267/ 


BTW I noticed this thread's been moved to the TV and Web Animation Forum. Not complaining and guess that's where it technically belongs, but was wondering if it would have stayed on the TTTP page if all the shorts had been theatrical quality?
PopKorn Kat
2020-05-30T19:41:47Z
Originally Posted by: Mac 

BTW I noticed this thread's been moved to the TV and Web Animation Forum. Not complaining and guess that's where it technically belongs, but was wondering if it would have stayed on the TTTP page if all the shorts had been theatrical quality?


The description for the TTTP in Exile forum is, and I quote:
Quote:


A forum for discussion of pre-1970's theatrical animation


So no, quality of the shorts would have nothing to do with the move to this forum.
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2020-05-31T17:04:09Z
Cheers, PopKorn Kat. Yes, that makes total sense (I'd figured perhaps an exception had been made for this as it's a series where the discussion will be drawing comparisons to classic theatricals).

wiley207
2020-06-29T22:27:20Z
Here's an in-character vlog from me as Wile E. Coyote talking about "Looney Tunes Cartoons" on HBO Max, particularly that "no gun" policy. I point out how this "no gun" rule for Elmer and Sam goes back to "The Looney Tunes Show," despite its' sister series "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" getting in some violent and deadly gun usage, despite being aimed at kids! Along with a few other comments (like Ralph Wolf appearing again) and critiques (like the choice of sound effects editors) as usual... Scooby-Doo and Disney's Big Bad Wolf also make some quick cameos.
nickramer
2020-07-07T14:27:38Z
Is a second batch of the shorts going to be added in a couple of months?
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2020-07-12T17:50:43Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Is a second batch of the shorts going to be added in a couple of months?



I've been wondering when they'll be another batch of shorts too, but found no news. I did read that "holiday specials" are planned so would at least expect something by Hallowe'en (maybe they'll include the short Mummy Dummy).

Mesterius
2020-07-12T18:30:48Z
Originally Posted by: wiley207 

Here's an in-character vlog from me as Wile E. Coyote talking about "Looney Tunes Cartoons" on HBO Max, particularly that "no gun" policy. I point out how this "no gun" rule for Elmer and Sam goes back to "The Looney Tunes Show," despite its' sister series "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" getting in some violent and deadly gun usage, despite being aimed at kids!



So what? There's gun usage in shows like "Batman: The Animated Series" and "Gargoyles", and those shows were also aimed primarily at kids (i.e. the 6-12 age group).

© 2020 - YetAnotherForum.NET