Leviathan
2020-06-19T00:08:35Z
That just raises the question of WHY they would use an SD interlaced video master on a Blu-Ray. Or why a video master newly transferred from film would be interlaced to begin with.

Thad Komorowski
2020-06-19T00:22:27Z
Easy. They don't care. Whoever is answering the WAC Facebook page is giving the lame excuse that the announcement detailing the BD's contents that listed the cartoon in HD was a "typo". Right.
Mesterius
2020-06-19T01:52:42Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

That just raises the question of WHY they would use an SD interlaced video master on a Blu-Ray. Or why a video master newly transferred from film would be interlaced to begin with.

It feels easy enough to guess that Warner had some reason for creating an interlaced SD NTSC master after restoring the cartoon in high definition (maybe for some broadcast purpose). But whatever the reason, it's bizarre this master ended up being used on a Blu-ray.
vdubdavid
2020-06-19T17:03:29Z
I hate it when we enter the 'two steps forward, one step back' situation with WB. I was thrilled to hear that more shorts are being remastered after years in the doldrums, then I had to temper that with the news of what's turning up on the streaming service (which I don't subscribe to).

Now, while it's great to see that not only is more remastering taking place but some shorts are being genuinely restored with original bullseyes (could there be newly rediscovered title sequences lurking out there?) we now have to temper that with the knowledge that whoever was put in charge of putting together the supplements for this new feature release apparently grabbed the wrong master or something.

When I hear 'they don't care' though, it makes me ask who's 'they'? I'd like to think that whoever put that subpar short on 'Romance on the High Seas' isn't going to be put in charge of assembling the next major animation release. Am I being naive?
Mesterius
2020-06-19T17:09:26Z
Originally Posted by: vdubdavid 

I hate it when we enter the 'two steps forward, one step back' situation with WB. I was thrilled to hear that more shorts are being remastered after years in the doldrums, then I had to temper that with the news of what's turning up on the streaming service (which I don't subscribe to).

Now, while it's great to see that not only is more remastering taking place but some shorts are being genuinely restored with original bullseyes (could there be newly rediscovered title sequences lurking out there?) we now have to temper that with the knowledge that whoever was put in charge of putting together the supplements for this new feature release apparently grabbed the wrong master or something.

When I hear 'they don't care' though, it makes me ask who's 'they'? I'd like to think that whoever put that subpar short on 'Romance on the High Seas' isn't going to be put in charge of assembling the next major animation release. Am I being naive?

I'd say the news of even more Tom and Jerry (and Looney Tunes) cartoons being "restored" with flat, ugly colors are more depressing than this specific Blu-ray blunder. What are the chances these films will ever get another shot at a restoration?
anonymuos
2020-06-19T17:25:16Z
Is there/can we make a list of Tom and Jerrys from the 114 Hanna-Barbera ones which are badly restored? Not all of them have issues. Some have way too much grain, some have washed out colors, some are too dark, some of them pretty amazing. Here are some I noticed weren't so great are:
- Mouse in Manhattan
- Heavenly Puss
- Mouse Trouble
- Puttin On the Dog
- Sufferin Cats

Many of the early ones are worse but quality improves very much in the later ones.
Jason Todd
2020-06-19T21:00:50Z
Originally Posted by: anonymuos 

Is there/can we make a list of Tom and Jerrys from the 114 Hanna-Barbera ones which are badly restored? Not all of them have issues. Some have way too much grain, some have washed out colors, some are too dark, some of them pretty amazing. Here are some I noticed weren't so great are:
- Mouse in Manhattan
- Heavenly Puss
- Mouse Trouble
- Puttin On the Dog
- Sufferin Cats

Many of the early ones are worse but quality improves very much in the later ones.

The following Tom and Jerry films were remastered from Metrocolor CRIs:
Puss Gets the Boot
Puss N’ Toots
The Bowling Alley Cat
Sufferin’ Cats!
The Lonesome Mouse
The Zoot Cat
The Million Dollar Cat
Puttin’ on the Dog
Mouse Trouble
Quiet Please
The Milky Waif
Heavenly Puss
Jerry’s Diary

From what I understand, all the rest were sourced from Technicolor copies, all from second generation CRI negatives. I agree, even a few of those could probably look better, but they’re nowhere near as bad as the crappy-looking transfers made for the entries listed above. And it would be really nice to see those transferred from better source material...
Mesterius
2020-06-20T13:22:26Z

- Mouse in Manhattan
- Heavenly Puss
- Mouse Trouble
- Puttin On the Dog
- Sufferin Cats

Um... really? I think "Mouse in Manhattan" looks beautiful on the Golden Collection Volume 1 Blu-ray (unlike the other films you mention, which are remastered from Metrocolor prints). What are your problems with that one?
Mesterius
2020-06-20T13:27:17Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

- Mouse in Manhattan
- Heavenly Puss
- Mouse Trouble
- Puttin On the Dog
- Sufferin Cats

The following Tom and Jerry films were remastered from Metrocolor CRIs:
Puss Gets the Boot
Puss N’ Toots
The Bowling Alley Cat
Sufferin’ Cats!
The Lonesome Mouse
The Zoot Cat
The Million Dollar Cat
Puttin’ on the Dog
Mouse Trouble
Quiet Please
The Milky Waif
Heavenly Puss
Jerry’s Diary

From what I understand, all the rest were sourced from Technicolor copies, all from second generation CRI negatives. I agree, even a few of those could probably look better, but they’re nowhere near as bad as the crappy-looking transfers made for the entries listed above. And it would be really nice to see those transferred from better source material...

I'd say in their own way, most of the T&J HD remasters done for Golden Collection Volume 2 and HBO Max ARE as bad as the Metrocolor ones you list. The flattenened colors look terrible. And it's doubly depressing when we know it doesn't even have anything to do with the quality of the prints... it's just Warner cheapening out on the restoration and massacring the colors to make things easy for their autocleanup.
anonymuos
2020-06-20T15:49:49Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Um... really? I think "Mouse in Manhattan" looks beautiful on the Golden Collection Volume 1 Blu-ray (unlike the other films you mention, which are remastered from Metrocolor prints). What are your problems with that one?

Well I got both the Spotlight Collection (US DVD) and Classic Collection (UK DVD) and ripped the one whose picture was brighter and more vibrant. In case of "Mouse in Manhattan", the DVD rip I have kept from Classic Collection is much brighter than the Blu-Ray version which is extremely dark.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Mesterius
2020-06-20T17:11:46Z

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Well I got both the Spotlight Collection (US DVD) and Classic Collection (UK DVD) and ripped the one whose picture was brighter and more vibrant. In case of "Mouse in Manhattan", the DVD rip I have kept from Classic Collection is much brighter than the Blu-Ray version which is extremely dark.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Hmmm... I don't remember the Blu-ray version looking quite so dark on my HD flatscreen. But I'm wondering if the colors aren't supposed to look at least a little dark in that scene, as it's very early in the morning.

Anyway, here's a DVD screenshot posted by Thad in his review of the first Golden Collection volume, from later in the film. I think these colors look miles better than the Classic Collection DVD framegrabs you shared.

UserPostedImage
rtalbot7
2020-06-22T08:56:57Z
7 new Bugs Bunny restorations have just been added on HBO Max!

Jack-Wabbit and the Beanstalk
What's Cookin' Doc?
Hare Splitter
Knights Must Fall
Hare Lift
Captain Hareblower
Half Fare Hare

So that's 14 new Bugs Bunny restorations that are available to watch on the service. (The other 7 were added at launch: Hold the Lion, Please; Hot Cross Bunny; Rabbit Every Monday; Fair Haired Hare; Upswept Hare; Robot Rabbit; No Parking Hare)

:)
Leviathan
2020-06-22T15:40:45Z
So, Porky and Daffy has a new transfer. It's generally better looking than Porky 101, but they really screwed up the opening and closing. It's almost Porky 101-eque, especially the ending.

JACK WABBIT AND THE BEANSTALK is also using the dubbed version's soundtrack (and the wrong ending audio).

Is WB not doing quality control at all on these new transfers? These gaffes are inexcusable.
SuperMuppet64
2020-06-22T17:36:46Z
its pretty obvious these are new transfers not intended to be accurate representations of the films but ones intended to fill a quota. basically the same reason why any other company would just be like "ok time to make new masters for this thing" (think updating an analog master to digital betacam back in the 90s)
Leviathan
2020-06-22T18:27:36Z
It just gets me, because the excuse for Porky 101 was that there wasn't enough money to do the cartoons properly.

They're obviously going to great expense for these new transfers, and they're STILL suffering from completely avoidable issues. If it wasn't obvious then, all the money in the world won't help if they don't care.
Toonatic
2020-06-22T21:23:09Z
Should be worth noting Knights Must Fall has its original rings restored! 😃
Mesterius
2020-06-22T23:12:00Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

It just gets me, because the excuse for Porky 101 was that there wasn't enough money to do the cartoons properly.

They're obviously going to great expense for these new transfers, and they're STILL suffering from completely avoidable issues. If it wasn't obvious then, all the money in the world won't help if they don't care.

If they're really going to "great expense" (or at least, the expense that Warner Archive is going to for their cartoon Blu-rays), would they have needed to flatten/mess with the colors just to make the job easier for the autocleanup?

Not saying the problems are ONLY caused by low budgets... but that may be part of it.
Leviathan
2020-06-29T21:58:29Z
So, whatever became of that supposedly upcoming blu-Ray set that was supposed to have the newly restored Bugs Bunny shorts? Is that even still happening?

© 2020 - YetAnotherForum.NET