ParamountCartoons
2015-02-25T20:14:52Z
I watched the first two "Land of the Lost" films, and it recycled a LOT of animation during the beginning. The plots are even more formulaic than Casper or Screen Songs! "Jewels" even had a Jiminy Cricket knockoff!

I guess moviegoers only went to one of the films.

They're fun to watch, but thank goodness they only made 3. It would have been a lot better if it was one-shot!

Your thoughts?
Ken Layton
2015-02-25T22:09:39Z
Actually, I like the Land of the Lost series and I wish Famous would have made more of them. Isabel Manning Hewson provided Famous with the basic story premise from some of her radio scripts. Then Bill Turner and Larry Riley adapted the story to Famous' characters.

Famous had purchased other "outside properties" to adapt to animated cartoons. One earlier cartoon was that gawdawful "Gabriel Churchkitten" which never should have been made IMO.

Here's some information on the Land of the Lost radio program:

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._of_the_Lost_%28radio%29 
ParamountCartoons
2015-02-25T22:24:11Z
Originally Posted by: Ken Layton 

Actually, I like the Land of the Lost series and I wish Famous would have made more of them. Isabel Manning Hewson provided Famous with the basic story premise from some of her radio scripts. Then Bill Turner and Larry Riley adapted the story to Famous' characters.

Famous had purchased other "outside properties" to adapt to animated cartoons. One earlier cartoon was that gawdawful "Gabriel Churchkitten" which never should have been made IMO.

Here's some information on the Land of the Lost radio program:

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._of_the_Lost_%28radio%29 

I like the series too. I didn't say I hate it, I just said it was very formulaic. Anything Paramount touches in classic animation turns to gold in my eyes. Though there are some exceptions like Pudgy the Watchman.
Justin Delbert
2015-02-26T03:36:47Z
Uh I didn't know it was based on a radio program. I always thought it was a one shot.
Ken Layton
2015-02-26T05:07:52Z
Here is an archive of the website which tells about Isabel Manning Hewson (includes a picture of her too):

http://web.archive.org/w...//geocities.com/jeffghl/ 

The radio program was aimed at the kiddies, was simplistic, and definitely had a formula: a world of mystery under the sea.
Two kids are fishing and "catch" (temporarily) Red Lantern the magic talking fish. He takes them on a magical trip underwater to the Land of the Lost where all lost items end up.
LuckyToon
2015-02-26T08:11:58Z
I've seen all 3 of them, but the first one is my favorite since it's about a young prince saving the princess from an evil villain.
FleischerFan
2015-02-26T13:11:20Z
I am also quite fond of these cartoons.

I had never known about the radio program, so thank you, Ken, for that information!

I never thought Fleischer/Famous handled Disney-style sentiment all that well, but these cartoons along with "The Enchanted Square" come the closest.
Bobby Bickert
2015-03-01T21:07:08Z
There also was a Land of the Lost comic book, which was actually published by EC, before they started publishing horror comics.

© 2020 - YetAnotherForum.NET