LuckyToon
2016-02-24T05:04:06Z
Since I've seen wiley207's topic on His "Rules of New Scooby-Doo Cartoons" , now I want to give out some of my own rules on cartoon sound effects used in modern animated TV shows. And the reason for that is because there are certain shows I've seen that broke the rules, and it really bothers and offenses me.

- Rule 1: Any normal animated TV show in different styles and fashions should mainly use newly made cartoon sound or recycled cartoon sound effects from Disney, WB, Jay Ward, and even Sound Idea's Hollywood Series 4000, and to never or rarely use Hanna-Barbera sound effects since they sound so out of place.

- Rule 2: Hanna-Barbera sound effects should only be used in the Tom & Jerry, Hanna-Barbera franchises (including Scooby Doo!), knock-offs with similar limited animation and character designs (like what Ren & Stimpy, Heathcliff, Dennis the Menace, and Garfield & Friends has), and in Hanna-Barbera parodies. But don't use the Hanna-Barbera/MGM falling sound  constantly since it gets irritating after hearing it more than once.

- Rule 3: Shows that features Hanna-Barbera characters should never sound more realistic and should sound more like the Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

- Rule 4: Don't be limited to a very small amount of sound effects since it's considered lazy. Use many different variety of cartoon sounds.

- Rule 5: Don't try to be more hip on the cartoon sound effects (especially on the Hanna-Barbera sound effects), just use the sound effects in the classic fashion or in your own fashion.

Most animated shows like What's New Scooby Doo, Wabbit: A Looney Tunes Production, Jake and the Never Land Pirates, and Be Cool Scooby Doo broke these rules.
nickramer
2016-02-25T05:11:47Z
Again, I still don't get the big deal about the type of sound effects for a cartoon.

And please don't try to explain about this again via PM.
LuckyToon
2016-02-25T10:39:48Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Again, I still don't get the big deal about the type of sound effects for a cartoon.

And please don't try to explain about this again via PM.

And again, I still think the Hanna-Barbera sound effects fit more into the actual H-B cartoons or knock-offs rather than any other cartoon series, they sound very out of place when they are used in almost every normal cartoon.
wiley207
2016-02-27T02:29:05Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Certain sound effects seem to work better with certain franchises. For example, Treg Brown's Warner Bros. sound effects are what we usually expect to hear in Looney Tunes-related productions, while the Hanna-Barbera sound effects should heavily be used with H-B's properties like the Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, etc. It doesn't sound right hearing it the other way around (like "What's New Scooby-Doo" using the Warner Bros. sound effects, or "Wabbit" and the late '60s Warner/Seven Arts cartoons using the H-B sound effects.)
I don't mind the mixing and matching when they are not familiar franchises like I mentioned, or not from a studio that originated with its' own dedicated sound effects (like Disney, WB and H-B did.)
rodineisilveira
2016-06-08T19:32:10Z
Would be possible using SFX from studios as Filmation, Paramount/Famous Studios, UPA, Terrytoons, Universal/Walter Lantz, Rankin-Bass, Rembrandt Film and from the Japanese anime studios on these same modern animated TV shows?

© 2020 - YetAnotherForum.NET