Slowly I Turn
2019-05-31T14:08:00Z
It only took 13 years from the original announcement but Warner is finally putting out Wally Gator on DVD (MOD). It is up for pre-order with a ship date of 6/25. The packging says "Complete Series" which I believe is 52 cartoons. No signs of its frequently coupled companions Touche Turtle or Lippy the Lion but hopefully they will come in future months. Price is $24.99. It is not up on Amazon yet but I did see it on Walmart for $21.01.
Looney Tunes Fan
2019-06-06T00:19:32Z
Whoa, that's great! Hopefully they can get out the rest of Huckleberry Hound and all of Quick Draw McGraw at some point as well.
nickramer
Slowly I Turn
2019-06-25T23:31:01Z
That's good to hear. Kind of surprised it is coming out that soon after Wally Gator. Would have to assume Touche is next.

Looks like Wal Mart is the best price again at $21.01 + free shipping. Amazon is really lagging behind getting these up on their site for some reason.
Slowly I Turn
2019-06-27T18:18:07Z
A few comments about this release.

I ordered from Walmart. They had the best price (that I found) and free shipping. It arrived Wednesday, one day after release date so that is pretty good and I will likely go that way again with Lippy the Lion.

It is 2 discs with 26 cartoons on each disc. Total time is listed at 269 minutes. No extras but I didn't expect any.

These are definitely not remastered. Lots of specks appearing and disappearing. 2 of the 13 I have watched so far the color is kind of washed out although the others look fine for a MOD. I feel like this is the condition they were in 13 years ago when the release was originally announced and later cancelled due to quality issues and somebody finally said we own it, we might as well release it. The imperfections aren't so much I can't enjoy it for me. I haven't noticed any sound quality issues.

One turn off for me is you can't skip the theme song. I'm glad it is there, but 52 times is a little much.

Overall, I am happy to finally have this. If it was a choice of having this in the present condition or not at all I will happily take this. Even if Warner were to put these on a streaming service one day there is no guarantee they would clean them up. If you have to have blu ray HD quality to be happy this may not be for you.

Kristjan
2019-06-28T02:18:10Z
Originally Posted by: Slowly I Turn 

A few comments about this release.

I ordered from Walmart. They had the best price (that I found) and free shipping. It arrived Wednesday, one day after release date so that is pretty good and I will likely go that way again with Lippy the Lion.

It is 2 discs with 26 cartoons on each disc. Total time is listed at 269 minutes. No extras but I didn't expect any.

These are definitely not remastered. Lots of specks appearing and disappearing. 2 of the 13 I have watched so far the color is kind of washed out although the others look fine for a MOD. I feel like this is the condition they were in 13 years ago when the release was originally announced and later cancelled due to quality issues and somebody finally said we own it, we might as well release it. The imperfections aren't so much I can't enjoy it for me. I haven't noticed any sound quality issues.

One turn off for me is you can't skip the theme song. I'm glad it is there, but 52 times is a little much.

Overall, I am happy to finally have this. If it was a choice of having this in the present condition or not at all I will happily take this. Even if Warner were to put these on a streaming service one day there is no guarantee they would clean them up. If you have to have blu ray HD quality to be happy this may not be for you.

Screen shot please.
Mark The Shark
2019-07-14T13:56:28Z
Lippy The Lion And Hardy Har Har came out on Tuesday. Same as the Wally Gator set, they look pretty decent, but are said to be sourced from 16mm film -- which may be all that exists on these, who knows. At least I doubt they were ever printed in 35mm.

There is one bizarre anomaly on one cartoon, "Kidnap-Trap" -- normally (on the other 51 cartoons) the short intro plays, fades to black, then the title card fades in. But on "Kidnap-Trap," they do a cheesy video transition where the title card is formed by a bunch of little squares that fill the screen, then it comes into focus. It looks like a primitive video game graphic.

It's a minor thing, I guess, but it is really out of place on an archival set of 1960s Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Unfortunate.

The cartoons themselves look like they might be reconstructed from multiple sources. I don't work with film so I might not be able to describe it well. But they don't look bad at all. Much better than 30 year old video transfers like we got for Magilla Gorilla.

It does look like in many cases, they cut the intro on from a cleaner source than the rest of the cartoon.

No word yet on Touche Turtle. I hope Touche gets released soon to complete the set.

[img=https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/attachments/resized_20190710_190516-jpeg.60463]Quick shot of title card transition[/img]
Marshall
2020-02-19T02:22:59Z
I know it's seven months later, but I finally got around to watching and reviewing the Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har DVD set. I used to watch the L & H cartoons as a young child when they were played with Wally Gator (mentioned above) and Touche Turtle during approx. 1967 and 1968 local San Francisco Bay Area kids TV (KTVU). The show was called Captain Satellite, played by Bob March. The program would also run the King Features TV cartoons, such as Beetle Bailey, Barney Google and Snuffy Smith, and Krazy Kat, as well as the Marvel Superheroes episodes.

It's too bad Touche Turtle hasn't followed Wally Gator and Lippy and Hardy in being released by The Warner Archive Collection on DVD or streaming.

Marshall

My review of Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har DVD 

© 2020 - YetAnotherForum.NET