tashlinfan44
2020-05-29T12:19:13Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

I wonder when, and how frequently, HBO Max plans on expanding its content?

I read that they are going to update their service with new episodes of their originals every Wednesday, and I am assuming that they will add new stuff for non-originals every Wednesday as well.
Justin Delbert
2020-05-29T12:47:54Z

So, at launch, HBO Max’s classic animation selection is, for the most part, limited to Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Popeye. As of this writing, only the respective films that were most-recently given the HD remastering treatment are present and accounted for.

I wonder when, and how frequently, HBO Max plans on expanding its content?

I know for sure monthly for Crunchyroll content adding 10 or 20 new anime per month. The classic WB cartoons, I don't know.
Lee B
2020-05-29T15:52:02Z
According to this article,

https://www.thewrap.com/...ming-to-hbo-max-in-june/ 

There's more Popeye coming...
Popeye (Batch 2) (6/22), Season One

6/1
Looney Tunes: Back in Action, 2003

Looney Tunes (Batch 2) (6/22), Season One

Now, I have no idea if that Looney Tunes Batch 2 refers to "classic" Looney Tunes or the new stuff, but as you can see, they will be rolling out more of this content over the next few weeks.
LaughingBoy
2020-05-29T20:25:26Z
Originally Posted by: Lee B 

6/1

Now, I have no idea if that Looney Tunes Batch 2 refers to "classic" Looney Tunes or the new stuff, but as you can see, they will be rolling out more of this content over the next few weeks.

No concrete information on this, but I can confirm that the beta version of the service contained not only all 15 restored Bugs shorts, but also plenty of Golden/Platinum collection shorts that don't seem to be on at launch. One would figure those are coming.

Also, now that the service has launched, here's the complete list of restored Bugs shorts:

Hold the Lion, Please
Jack Wabbit and the Beanstalk
What’s Cookin’ Doc?
Racketeer Rabbit
Hare Splitter
Hot-Crossed Bunny
Knights Must Fall
Rabbit Every Monday
Fair Haired Hare
Hare Lift
Upswept Hare
Robot Rabbit
Captain Hareblower
No Parking Hare
Half Fare Hare
Gabrielkat1991
2020-05-29T23:48:04Z

All of the post-1953/pre-CinemaScope Tom and Jerry cartoons (from Baby Butch to Pecos Pest, respectively) are presented here in brand-new, HD restorations. Every single one of them look absolutely phenomenal, and I am absolutely blown away by the drastic improvement they are to the old Turner copies. I’m also quite pleasantly surprised that WB actually decided to revisit the remastering of the Tom and Jerry filmography, especially considering that we were all under the impression that they weren’t moving forward with that specific project.

You forgot about Hic-cup Pup and Little School Mouse, since those two have also been given new HD restorations as well.
"The dirty f**k!" - Bosko
fulano7
2020-05-30T00:50:27Z
Originally Posted by: Gabrielkat1991 

All of the post-1953/pre-CinemaScope Tom and Jerry cartoons (from Baby Butch to Pecos Pest, respectively) are presented here in brand-new, HD restorations. Every single one of them look absolutely phenomenal, and I am absolutely blown away by the drastic improvement they are to the old Turner copies. I’m also quite pleasantly surprised that WB actually decided to revisit the remastering of the Tom and Jerry filmography, especially considering that we were all under the impression that they weren’t moving forward with that specific project.

You forgot about Hic-cup Pup and Little School Mouse, since those two have also been given new HD restorations as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the shorts Mouse Cleaning (#38) to Posse Cat (#81) were remastered for Golden Collection Vol. 2, that was going to skip 2 of them.

Therefore, the package of newly remastered shorts is exactly the pre-Cinemascope shorts intended to be in Golden Collection Vol. 3 (#82-#96), except Downhearted Duckling (#87) and Designs on Jerry (#93).
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
Mesterius
2020-05-30T09:45:39Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

Originally Posted by: Gabrielkat1991 

If I'm not mistaken, the shorts Mouse Cleaning (#38) to Posse Cat (#81) were remastered for Golden Collection Vol. 2, that was going to skip 2 of them.

Therefore, the package of newly remastered shorts is exactly the pre-Cinemascope shorts intended to be in Golden Collection Vol. 3 (#82-#96), except Downhearted Duckling (#87) and Designs on Jerry (#93).

Thanks for the precise information. So, is this package the only Tom and Jerry shorts that are available on HBO Max at the moment?
Leviathan
2020-05-30T20:22:11Z
Originally Posted by: LaughingBoy 

6/1

No concrete information on this, but I can confirm that the beta version of the service contained not only all 15 restored Bugs shorts, but also plenty of Golden/Platinum collection shorts that don't seem to be on at launch. One would figure those are coming.

Also, now that the service has launched, here's the complete list of restored Bugs shorts:

Hold the Lion, Please
What’s Cookin’ Doc?
Racketeer Rabbit
Hare Splitter
Hot-Crossed Bunny
Knights Must Fall
Rabbit Every Monday
Fair Haired Hare
Hare Lift
Upswept Hare
Robot Rabbit
Captain Hareblower
No Parking Hare
Half Fare Hare

It seems like they're going mostly in order for Bugs shorts that haven't been restored with, less un-PC shorts.

Where does that leave stragglers like The Unruly Hare, A Lad-In-His Lamp and Hare Lift? You got me.
Justin Delbert
2020-05-31T01:30:15Z
Originally Posted by: LaughingBoy 

6/1

Hold the Lion, Please
What’s Cookin’ Doc?
Racketeer Rabbit
Hare Splitter
Hot-Crossed Bunny
Knights Must Fall
Rabbit Every Monday
Fair Haired Hare
Hare Lift
Upswept Hare
Robot Rabbit
Captain Hareblower
No Parking Hare
Half Fare Hare

Oh my...if true about Half Fare Hare, not one of my favorites but here's my point, copies of that cartoon are really really bad, and that's officially from Warner Bros. copies that are bad.
fulano7
2020-05-31T04:49:19Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Thanks for the precise information. So, is this package the only Tom and Jerry shorts that are available on HBO Max at the moment?

No, there are 88 shorts available in "Tom and Jerry" page. They've been grouped in alphabetical order in "4 seasons", it's a mixed list that includes shorts from Hanna-Barbera, Chuck Jones, Gene Deitch and even some Tex Avery MGM shorts.

EDIT: here you are:

Baby Butch
Baby Puss
Bad Luck Blackie
Barbecue Brawl
The Bodyguard
The Bowling Alley-Cat
Calypso Cat
Carmen Get It
The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit
Cat Above and the Mouse Below
The Cat Concerto
Cat Fishin'
Cat Napping
The Cat That Hated People
The Counterfeit Cat
Cue Ball Cat
Dicky Moe
The Dog House
Down and Outing
Down Beat Bear
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse
The Egg and Jerry
Feedin' the Kiddie
Fine Feathered Friend
Fit to Be Tied
The Flying Cat
The Flying Sorceress
Happy Go Ducky
Hatch Up Your Troubles
Heavenly Puss
Hic-Cup Pup
High Steaks
The Hollywood Bowl
The House of Tomorrow
The Invisible Mouse
Is There a Doctor in the Mouse
It's Greek to Me-ow
Jerry and Jumbo
Jerry and the Goldfish
Jerry and the Lion
Jerry's Cousin
Johann Mouse
Just Ducky
Landing Stripling
Little Quacker
Little School Mouse
Love That Pup
Mice Follies
The Million Dollar Cat
Mouse for Sale
Mouse Trouble
Much Ado About Mousing
Mucho Mouse
Muscle Beach Tom
Neapolitan Mouse
The Night Before Christmas
Pecos Pest
Penthouse Mouse
Pet Peeve
Posse Cat
Pup on a Picnic
Puttin' on the Dog
Royal Cat Nap
Salt Water Tabby
Slicked-Up Pup
Smarty Cat
Snowbody Loves Me
Solid Serenade
Sorry Safari
Southbound Duckling
Springtime for Thomas
Sufferin' Cats
Switchin' Kitten
Tall in the Trap
Tee for Two
That's My Mommy
That's My Pup
Timid Tabby
Tom and Cherie
Tom-ic Energy
Tom's Photo Finish
Tops with Pops
Tot Watchers
Trap Happy
The Unshrinkable Jerry Mouse
The Vanishing Duck
Ventriloquist Cat
The Zoot Cat
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
Leviathan
2020-05-31T17:10:31Z
Really weird that Half-Fare Hare warranted restoration before Beanstalk Bunny.
Einhander
2020-06-01T04:52:09Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

No, there are 88 shorts available in "Tom and Jerry" page. They've been grouped in alphabetical order in "4 seasons", it's a mixed list that includes shorts from Hanna-Barbera, Chuck Jones, Gene Deitch and even some Tex Avery MGM shorts.

EDIT: here you are:

Baby Butch
Baby Puss
Bad Luck Blackie
Barbecue Brawl
The Bodyguard
The Bowling Alley-Cat
Calypso Cat
Carmen Get It
The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit
Cat Above and the Mouse Below
The Cat Concerto
Cat Fishin'
Cat Napping
The Cat That Hated People
The Counterfeit Cat
Cue Ball Cat
Dicky Moe
The Dog House
Down and Outing
Down Beat Bear
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse
The Egg and Jerry
Feedin' the Kiddie
Fine Feathered Friend
Fit to Be Tied
The Flying Cat
The Flying Sorceress
Happy Go Ducky
Hatch Up Your Troubles
Heavenly Puss
Hic-Cup Pup
High Steaks
The Hollywood Bowl
The House of Tomorrow
The Invisible Mouse
Is There a Doctor in the Mouse
It's Greek to Me-ow
Jerry and Jumbo
Jerry and the Goldfish
Jerry and the Lion
Jerry's Cousin
Johann Mouse
Just Ducky
Landing Stripling
Little Quacker
Little School Mouse
Love That Pup
Mice Follies
The Million Dollar Cat
Mouse for Sale
Mouse Trouble
Much Ado About Mousing
Mucho Mouse
Muscle Beach Tom
Neapolitan Mouse
The Night Before Christmas
Pecos Pest
Penthouse Mouse
Pet Peeve
Posse Cat
Pup on a Picnic
Puttin' on the Dog
Royal Cat Nap
Salt Water Tabby
Slicked-Up Pup
Smarty Cat
Snowbody Loves Me
Solid Serenade
Sorry Safari
Southbound Duckling
Springtime for Thomas
Sufferin' Cats
Switchin' Kitten
Tall in the Trap
Tee for Two
That's My Mommy
That's My Pup
Timid Tabby
Tom and Cherie
Tom-ic Energy
Tom's Photo Finish
Tops with Pops
Tot Watchers
Trap Happy
The Unshrinkable Jerry Mouse
The Vanishing Duck
Ventriloquist Cat
The Zoot Cat

Seems like they avoided the ones with non PC scenes in them. The Mammy shorts, Mouse in Manhattan, Kitty Foiled, Little Runnaway, the Censored Two, etc.
Cool_Cat
2020-06-02T01:21:27Z
I'll probably sound too nitpicky, but I ended up having some of the new transfers and I have to say they do not look that good, especially with MGM shorts.

It's clear they didn't have budgets, so they heavily used automatic dirt removal tools, which again is linked to that weird color correction you'd see in the later WB releases, and this time I see damage to the animation too.

I know it's nowhere as bad as some of the Turner remasters of the 90s when anything that moves got deleted, but these days this shouldn't happen:

UserPostedImage

It's also very noticeable in Hic Cup Pup.

As for the color correction looking like that, it's because they intentionally forced every color to be in a certain range where the automated dirt removal works without damaging too much the picture. This time it looks like they didn't do anything manual, because I see a lot of dirt only in the scenes with lots of motion.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Another huge complaint I have to give is how instead of scanning the optical audio track, they grabbed the audio from whatever television master they had and applied heavy noise removal filters. It's much worse than when this has been done in the past, especially in Hold the Lion Please.

I'll correct another person who posted here before. Chicken Jitters and The Blow Out are the Porky Pig 101 transfers (badly) cleaned out. They went as far as freezing frame the titles and adding fake grain on top of it, and I have no idea how THIS got past quality testing:

UserPostedImage

The positive side is a couple Bugs Bunny cartoons had their original titles restored.

I'm not saying these cartoons are unwatchable this way, but it's clear they just wanted to get these out just to meet their HD standards on the new platform. I personally prefer a lot more the previous SD material than anything they remastered in the past 8 years.
Thad Komorowski
2020-06-02T03:11:16Z
"Cool_Cat", thanks for being the voice of reason for why a lot of these new transfers don't fly. I sincerely hope the DVNR'ed Tex Avery cartoons are placeholders and not indicative of what gets ultimately used on hard media.

Have you noticed these have had the grain flattened out of them too? The color looks ok on HOT CROSS BUNNY (nothing like my IB Tech, I'm afraid, and with RABBIT EVERY MONDAY, there's clearly Fred Ladd level revisionism), for example, and the level of clarity is at the insane level of the Famous Popeyes where it looks as though you can lift the cels off. But I noticed not one bit of grain. Very disconcerting if they're pulling that Disney shit now.
Jason Todd
2020-06-02T04:14:25Z
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat 

I'll probably sound too nitpicky, but I ended up having some of the new transfers and I have to say they do not look that good, especially with MGM shorts.

It's clear they didn't have budgets, so they heavily used automatic dirt removal tools, which again is linked to that weird color correction you'd see in the later WB releases, and this time I see damage to the animation too.

I know it's nowhere as bad as some of the Turner remasters of the 90s when anything that moves got deleted, but these days this shouldn't happen:

UserPostedImage

It's also very noticeable in Hic Cup Pup.

As for the color correction looking like that, it's because they intentionally forced every color to be in a certain range where the automated dirt removal works without damaging too much the picture. This time it looks like they didn't do anything manual, because I see a lot of dirt only in the scenes with lots of motion.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Another huge complaint I have to give is how instead of scanning the optical audio track, they grabbed the audio from whatever television master they had and applied heavy noise removal filters. It's much worse than when this has been done in the past, especially in Hold the Lion Please.

I'll correct another person who posted here before. Chicken Jitters and The Blow Out are the Porky Pig 101 transfers (badly) cleaned out. They went as far as freezing frame the titles and adding fake grain on top of it, and I have no idea how THIS got past quality testing:

UserPostedImage

The positive side is a couple Bugs Bunny cartoons had their original titles restored.

I'm not saying these cartoons are unwatchable this way, but it's clear they just wanted to get these out just to meet their HD standards on the new platform. I personally prefer a lot more the previous SD material than anything they remastered in the past 8 years.

As good as most of these new remasters look, the lack of dirt-removal present in many of the MGM cartoons comes across, to me, as HD raw scans, not full-blown restorations.

Assuming the original nitrate materials still exist for the post-1951 shorts, did WB at least go back to the negatives? Or are these all transferred from second-generation interpositives?
SuperMuppet64
2020-06-02T07:30:39Z

its a shame theyre still doing this. they looked crap then, and they look crap now. wouldve settled for completely untouched scans and let us correct it ourselves, lol

Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

"Cool_Cat", thanks for being the voice of reason for why a lot of these new transfers don't fly. I sincerely hope the DVNR'ed Tex Avery cartoons are placeholders and not indicative of what gets ultimately used on hard media.

considering warner archive's good track record on blu-ray, i doubt it. feltenstein brags so much about not scrubbing grain and cel dust and referencing tech prints, i feel theres no chance theres gonna be this awful color correction on the next blu set
Mesterius
2020-06-02T10:49:59Z
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

its a shame theyre still doing this. they looked crap then, and they look crap now. wouldve settled for completely untouched scans and let us correct it ourselves, lol

considering warner archive's good track record on blu-ray, i doubt it. feltenstein brags so much about not scrubbing grain and cel dust and referencing tech prints, i feel theres no chance theres gonna be this awful color correction on the next blu set

Still, though, WAC's first Popeye Blu-ray had DVNR erasing parts of the animated action in a scene where Popeye is polishing his shoes in Puppet Love:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Leviathan
2020-06-02T19:04:56Z

Have you noticed these have had the grain flattened out of them too? The color looks ok on HOT CROSS BUNNY (nothing like my IB Tech, I'm afraid, and with RABBIT EVERY MONDAY, there's clearly Fred Ladd level revisionism), for example, and the level of clarity is at the insane level of the Famous Popeyes where it looks as though you can lift the cels off. But I noticed not one bit of grain. Very disconcerting if they're pulling that Disney shit now.

The Scooby Doo: Where Are You set and the Batman: The Animated Series set were pretty blatantly de-grained. Both were put out by WHV proper, not the WAC.

The Tex Avery cartoons will probably end up looking OK, since it's the WAC. But if the Bugs cartoons are part of the project Jerry is working on for WHV, uh oh.

Is it worth raising a stink now and try and get the attention of the right people? Or has that ship sailed?
Cool_Cat
2020-06-03T01:24:39Z
Yes, it's true all the grain has been scrubbed off like in the Disney remasters. The reason why is because removing dirt and dust with the grain on requires extra manual efforts, sometimes by selecting the spot to remove you end up leaving a visible patch. By using an heavy median filter and taking the grain off they don't have to deal with that. In fact the one cartoon which didn't get cleaned off, The Ventriloquist Cat, has the grain on too.

I noticed though this time they didn't alter the fade in/outs but left the dust in there. That was pretty bad in black out gag shorts like Canned Feud.

Usually when WB gets an HD transfer done and they don't have to meet extra quality requirements, they don't bother. It's kinda sad to see half of the Tom and Jerry filmography looking like that though, the older SD masters are a better representation of how those shorts should look like. On the Tex Avery Blu Ray shorts they clearly had a much bigger budget.
nickramer
2020-06-03T03:37:26Z
Honestly, I feel like some of you guys over-analyzing the restorations.

© 2020 - YetAnotherForum.NET